A long time ago (22 months) in a far-away land, a beautiful young(ish) mother and father-to-be filled out their baby registry. I can tell you now: they didn’t know what they were doing. They were first-time parents and completely clueless about what they’d need for their two impending bundles of joy.
The problem with baby showers and registries is that you don’t know your baby yet and as novice parents you really don’t know what you are going to need. And you aren’t going to know whether or not your child will hate the really expensive bouncer that their grandparents purchase them off of the registry.
Below is my practical guide to navigate baby gift registries and beyond: I hope you find it helpful when registering or purchasing:
Your friends may be using an alternative cash registry like Simple Registry, or they might not have a registry at all — these have been some of my favourites that I’ve seen or been gifted myself:
- Gift certificate for a pre or post-natal massage
- A baby photographer booking
- Gift card to have pictures printed
- Wall mount wet/dry vac
- Art work for the nursery
- Diaper Cake (for those who are going the disposable route)
- Personalized Blankets (initials or name if known)
- Anything hand knit
- Really cute unusual onesies and outfits
- Gift cards to baby specialty shops or anywhere that parents can get those last minute items they didn’t know they needed
- Gift basket — you can go crazy here! Stock it with snacks, baby wipes, etc.
- Good quality children’s books
The Big Ticket Items
Going in together with a few people for these items really help the expecting parent(s) save some dough and will get used:
The Practical Items
These are items that you truly can’t have enough of!
Washcloths and hooded towels
Bibs, socks, and blankets
What were the most useful items on you’ve given OR received as baby gifts?