My husband and I are only just beginning to talk about having a baby, but like the overeager person I am I’ve already been looking at different baby room inspiration online. Over the past few weeks I have looked at all the available store themes and come to one conclusion: they are not us. Baby animals, over-powering geometric patterns, PINK…. just because it’s for a baby’s room doesn’t mean it has to be infantile!
In my fury, I decided something: I’ll come up with my own easy-to-DIY, easy-to-love baby room ideas. I created a board on Pinterest to store my inspiration… here are my 5 favorites:
A Star is Born
- The idea: Classic Hollywood Cinema, 1920’s-1950’s
- Base colors: Brick red, Cream off-white, Espresso wood, Bronze
- Key features: Movie posters, lighted marquee letter(s), vintage film reels
- Make it personal: use a customized poster of you/your partner/newborn as the movie poster, make the marquee letters the baby’s initials
- Bonus Points: choose a specific genre or actor/actress to help theme the room
- The idea: Every theatre kid’s dream! A dramatic start to a dynamic childhood.
- Base colors: Ice blue, Warm yellow/white, Basic black, Deep red
- Key features: Framed playbills, lighted marquee letter(s), pictures of the famous street sign, red curtains
- Make it personal: use a customized poster of you/your partner/newborn as the playbill, make the marquee letters the baby’s initials
- Bonus Points: choose one play/musical (maybe the first play you saw as a couple?), lighted vanity changing table (to change to regular vanity when child is older)
- The idea:The wonder and beauty of planet Earth. Set your child up to appreciate the world around them.
- Base colors: Ocean blue, Grey white, Hunter green, Natural wood
- Key features: photos of natural beauty at its best, pressed leaves and flowers, vinyl wall nature decals
- Make it personal: choose pictures of spots that are personal to you (maybe even have yourself in the photos), used pressed leaves from your garden
- Bonus Points: Choose a specific landscape or national park where you live or that has special meaning to you, using photos taken by someone in the family.
Little Space Cadet
- The idea:Where no baby has gone before… create a star grazer and explorer from day one.
- Base colors: Charcoal black, Midnight blue, Star soft yellow, Yellow orange
- Key features: Glow in the dark stars in constellations on the ceiling, solar system mobile, space photos
- Make it personal: Use the constellations in the sky at the time of baby’s birth
- Bonus Points: Pick one or several sci-fis (Futurama, Star Trek, Firefly, Doctor Who…) and make a spaceship mobile
Littlest Book Worm
- The idea: First rule of book club: don’t talk about book club. It’s never too early to know good literature.
- Base colors: Parchment taupe, Rustic red, Ashen blue, Moss green
- Key features: floating book bookshelf, framed title pages, book page mobile
- Make it personal: Use pages from an author with the same name as your baby
- Bonus Points: Use one author or similar genres (like Jules Verne and H. G. Wells) to tie the room together