Jill sent us a question about labor playlists — you know, music to birth by! She specifically wondered what kind of lists you guys have made that DIDN’T include Enya (Enya fans: she means no harm!). I never got to make one, so here’s some of the songs that I would pick if I were giving birth like, right now.
Personally, I feel like birth is WAY too unpredictable to have a perfectly organized playlist (what if you want to listen to something in a different order? Or nothing at all?), so I just tried to stick with my faves. You’ll notice this is heavy on the sixties and seventies flower-child lullabies (Dylan, George Harrison, Led Zeppelin) and singer-songwriters (I can’t help it!), but I tried to keep it diverse. Who wouldn’t want to try to dance through labor?
These are a few of my favorites songs divided up into hopefully labor-and-birthing-appropriate categories:
Happy, Fun, “This isn’t as bad as I thought it would be!” Tunes
- John Lennon – Oh Yoko
- George Harrison – Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let it Roll)
- Sergio Mendes ft. Erykah Badu & Will I Am – That Heat
- Bob Marley and the Wailers – Is This Love
- Devendra Banhart – Long Haired Child
- Erykah Badu – …& On
When you need something to make you comfortable/zen you out.
- Simon and Garfunkel – Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall
- Beck – Chemtrails
- Erykah Badu – The Healer (Hip-Hop)
- Gustavo Cerati – Rio Babel
- Andrew Bird – Lull
- Radiohead – Bloom
- Bon Iver – Blood Bank
- Grizzly Bear – On a Neck, On a Spit
- George Harrison – Pisces Fish
- Fleet Foxes – Ragged Wood
“Oh, shit. Labor might be hard.”
- Big Boi featuring Janelle Monae – Be Still
- Oasis – Slide Away
- George Harrison – All Things Must Pass
- The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- Led Zeppelin – Kashmir
When labor gets really hard.
- M.I.A. – Paper Planes
- Curtis Mayfield – Think
- The Impressions – People Get Ready
- Simon and Garfunkel – The Sound of Silence
“YAY MY BABY IS SO AMAZING! I AM SO IN LOVE!”
- The Beatles – Here Comes The Sun
- The Flaming Lips – Do You Realize??
- Chris Robinson – …If You See California
- M. Ward – Here Comes the Sun Again
- Desolation Wilderness – 4/4 Love Song
- Bon Iver – Babys
- Oasis – Wonderwall
So, what (if anything) did you guys listen to? If you have a playlist saved or blogged online, link to it!