Hello, Muggle friends! Today is Harry Potter’s birthday, and in honor of my long-time obsession my kid and I decided to throw a birthday party. Since we decided this relatively last minute, it needed to be quick and easy.
We decided our party would be best suited for lunch, because a) we like lunch a lot and b) lunch is easier than dinner. We gave our party a trial run the day before to test the recipes, and are having our cake today since it’s officially the day.
Mini Pumpkin Pie Croissants
Weasley sweater inspired Gryffindor cake
I found the pumpkin croissants right here.
- 1 tube of refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 block of cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3-4 tablespoons of sugar
How you do it:
- Roll each crescent roll out and cut in two, lengthwise.
- Beat together cream cheese and canned pumpkin
- Each croissant will get a large tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling (mixture from step #2)
- Fill ’em up. Roll ’em up.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice and roll each pumpkin pie croissant in the mixture (note: I actually just mixed 3 tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice, and sprinkled it on top)
- Bake at 375º for 15-18 minutes.
I wanted this to be blindingly easy, so I used this recipe. It’s one step! Forewarning: it IS easy, but it’s also not especially tasty. My son isn’t a fan of carbonated drinks, so we each just had a little bit.
- 8oz ginger ale or cream soda
- 2-3 tablespoons of butterscotch syrup
How you do it:
- Mix in a tall glass and serve over ice
I planned to make a chocolate cake but accidentally bought yellow instead. I was ready to take it back and exchange when my son said that yellow cake would be like butterbeer cake, so we rolled with it. I colored cream cheese frosting yellow and crimson (lots of red and a little bit of green) with food coloring, decorated the cake with stripes, and put a large white G on top of it à la Molly Weasley’s infamous sweaters.
And there you have it — mischief managed! For bonus fun we listened to the John Williams station on Pandora, but that’s not mandatory.