Since pregnancy, and possibly even before, I’ve been determined that my child wouldn’t listen to those CDs of kids singing covers of pop songs in kid voices. There’s nothing inherently WRONG with those CDs, but I have zero interest, possibly even less than zero interest, in ever playing one in my home or my car. While I was pregnant and putting together my never-used labor and birth playlist, I wondered if it’d be easy to get my son to like whatever we like — and now that I have a three-year-old, I have learned that it is. I know this won’t last forever (and god only knows what the 2020s hold for his teenage-hood), but for now? TOTALLY WORKS.
So here’s my first mix, filled with songs my son and both his parents are totally into. The guidelines I put into place when considering it are pretty simple:
- Songs can be loud, but not offensive. Since everyone has different ideas about cussing around kidlets, I wanted to keep it mostly clean. Notice: I said MOSTLY.
- Everything’s upbeat. JUST BECAUSE.
- I thought it would be extra fun to THEME the mixes, so my first one is “songs for and about the road” — basically, songs about cars, road trips, and places to stay. It was also totally inspired by my son’s current obsession with cars and trucks. And before you ask, Little Red Corvette isn’t on here… even though I really, really wanted it to be.
Without further ado… here’s my mix!
- The Beatles – Drive My Car (iTunes)
- Kings of Leon – Camaro (Amazon)
- Elvis Presley – Heartbreak Hotel (Amazon)
- The Beach Boys – 409 (Amazon)
- Fountains of Wayne – 92 Subaru (Amazon)
- The Black Keys – Little Black Submarines (Amazon)
- The Ramones – Go Lil Camaro, Go (album: Halfway To Sanity)
- The Who – Jaguar (on Who Sell Out)
- Wilson Pickett – Mustang Sally (Amazon)
- Chuck Berry – No Particular Place to Go (Amazon)
- The Doobie Brothers – Rockin Down the Highway (Amazon)
- Erykah Badu – Window Seat (Amazon)
- The Beatles – Day Tripper (iTunes)
- Ray Charles – Hit the Road, Jack (Amazon)
- The Clash – Brand New Cadillac (Amazon)
- Creedence Clearwater Revival – Sweet Hitch-hiker (Amazon)
- Grateful Dead – Truckin (Amazon)
- Jimi Hendrix – Crosstown Traffic (Amazon)
- The Wallflowers – One Headlight (Amazon)
- Talking Heads – Road to Nowhere (Amazon)
I’d love to see what mixes YOU guys can come up with! If you have a good one (and pretty much anything is good), send me a list of songs and your theme and we’ll make this a THANG.