I really wanted a dresser in my dining room. Not for storing clothes (because that’s just silly!) but for keeping extra dishes, linens, etc. I brought the idea to my husband a few months ago and he said that was fine. I suggested we buy a secondhand dresser and paint it. But my husband struggled with the concept of painting a potentially old and lovely piece of wooden furniture, so my next idea was to buy new and paint it. THAT he approved!
I found this brand new dresser for $99 at a store similar to Ikea. It’s just unfinished pine and comes with six drawers. From there it was a three-step process for my project: distressing, painting, staining.
Step 1: Distress
I wanted to create a piece that looked worn and beat up, like it had been painted a couple times. So my husband gave me some tools (screw, crowbar, hammer and hatchet) and I went to town beating my dresser.
Step 2: Paint
I bought two cans or Rustoleum “Colonial Red” spray paint but only used one.
Side note: wear gloves while spray painting outside.
Painting is done! I did a couple coats and let it all dry outside for a couple hours (it was pretty chilly out, but also sunny. The sun dried most of the paint so we could move it inside after a couple hours). The dresser had a full two days to dry before I started the staining process.
Step 3: Stain
I used Minwax Wood Finish in cherry and a staning kit that came with gloves, an applicator sponge and a cleaning rag. I also used a brush for painting walls.
The staining process was really easy: Paint the stain in an even layer over a small patch of dresser, wait a minute or two and rub it in with the rag. A lot of the stain came off but that’s the look I was going for.
The whole project took about one hour, not including drying time. It could have been completed in one day because the drying time for the paint is only four hours. A little time for a big impact!