I have a nice simple pork chops and black beans recipe, taken from The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, for people like Megan.
It might cheat just a little, since it calls for jarred salsa, but it’s easy, fast, good, and rather healthy. And from start to finish it only takes 20 minutes.
- 4 pork rib chops cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained, or one 15 1/2 ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained (empty beans into a colander and run water running over it)
- 1 cup of salsa
- Trim fat from meat.
- Rub pepper onto chops.
- In a skillet cook chops in hot oil over medium high heat about four minutes or until brown, turning once.
- Remove and drain off the fat.
- In the same skillet combine beans and salsa.
- Return chops to pan and bring to boiling.
- Then reduce heat and simmer covered for five to six minutes, or until no pink remains in pork and juices run clear.
I usually pair this with a baked potato, though it would also work with rice. Depending on how ambitious I’m feeling, I might stick a simple salad with it as well.