Glühwein (mulled wine) is really popular in Germany at Christmas. You get it in every Christmas Market and a lot of people make their own at home. Glühwein is a hot drink traditionally made of red wine, tea, spices and sugar. So if you want to try it, I’ll show you how.
What you need:
- a teapot
- a cooking pot
- 5-6 teaspoons of loose black tea
- 1 quart of water
- 2.5 cups of sugar
- juice of 4 (pesticide-free) oranges and 2 lemons
- 1 vanilla bean cut into pieces
- 4 or 5 sugar cubes
- 3 bottles of red wine
- 8 fl.oz. of arrak or rum
- Put 5-6 teaspoons of loose black tea in a teapot and pour boiling water on it until it is slightly covered with water. Let it steep for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, put the sugar in the pot and add one quart of water, the juice and the vanilla bean. Cook everything until it boils.
- Rub the sugar cubes on a piece of orange zest and add the sugar cubes to the boiling mixture.
- Take the pot off the burner to stop the boiling.
- Blend in the wine, arrak/rum, and the tea without the leaves (you might have to filter it).
Now you can enjoy your homemade Glühwein!
When you want to enjoy it later or give it to someone as a present, filter it (because of the vanilla bean) and bottle it up. Then reheat it before drinking. It will even taste better! Then you will understand why we Germans LOVE our Glühwein.