My parents don’t have a garage in their Maui house, so when they’re off the island their truck gets covered and parked under this carport to avoid the sun and rust (ah, island life).
While they were on island over this past Fourth of July holiday, my mother (of nautical hemp lamp fame) decided to turn their empty carport into a space to entertain.
Basically, she turned their carport into an outdoor cabana lounge that she now calls The Carbana!
Of course, you don’t have to have a home in Maui to enjoy some relaxing cabana-style backyard action.
If you have a carport instead of a garage, you could totally pull off this affordable, cheap way to create a covered outdoor lounge area.
How to turn your carport into an outdoor lounge
- If your carport has sides, take them down and stow ’em away.
- Get several sets of inexpensive gauzy white curtains
- Cut each panel to the length of each carport section.
- Attached five grommets onto each panel and then hooked the panels by the grommets to the rod that runs around the top of the carport, using zip ties.
- Attach several rattan floor mats to match the length of the carport
- Hang a funky light fixture or chandalier in the middle of the carport
- Bring your lounge chairs and a couple of outdoor tables over
BOOM! Meet the carbana! Your instant, party-ready, backyard lounge area!