As the time draws nearer for my son to arrive and I prepare to go to the hospital I can’t help but wonder what should you really take? Sure the hospital provides you with a list but I want to know what real offbeat mamas say worked for them or what they wish they had when they were in the hospital.
My hospital birth bag was a bit unique in that, thanks to a stubbornly breech baby, I had to abandon my plans for an unmedicated birth at a birth center, and go to the hospital for a scheduled c-section. I knew when I was going (2pm on November 25, 2009), I knew exactly what was happening (surgery), and I knew how long I’d be in the hospital (2 nights).
That situation in mind, here’s what I brought:
- 2 comfy nightgowns with easy boob access
- My much beloved sleepy blinders eye mask and ear plugs
- My favorite slippers
- My favorite bathrobe
- My favorite pillow
- Granny panties (I wanted enormous loose underwear with a waistband that would sit well above the incision)
- A copy of On The Day Your Were Born to read to Tavi
- Electronics: Video camera, DSLR camer, laptop, and all chargers
- Water bottle
- Granola bars
- Toiletry bag with stuff like my favorite face lotion
- Onesies, booties, and receiving blankets
- The baby’s lambskin
- Departure outfit for baby
- Departure outfit for me (loose dress and warm boots)
I’d love to hear from other Offbeat Mamas: what were you most grateful to have in your birth bag? What do you wish you’d packed?