I used a box mix for the waffles, but jazzed them up with my homemade candied hazelnuts and Nutella sauce.
To make the Nutella sauce:
- Take about 1/3 cup milk and bring it to a simmer.
- Then add 1/2 cup Nutella.
- Whisk until it’s a nice, saucy sauce.
To make the candied hazelnuts:
- Chop raw hazelnuts, about 1/2 a cup.
- Then add about two teaspoons of egg whites, two tablespoons brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix ’em up.
- Then spread on a baking sheet and bake (with some nonstick spray on the pan, or parchment paper) at 400 degrees for about 10 mins — maybe more, maybe less. You don’t want them to burn, but you want a nice crunch to them.
Make your waffles, add a little butter, and maybe some pure maple syrup, like I did, then drizzle with the Nutella sauce. Sprinkle with nuts and some powdered sugar.
It’s heaven. Fucking waffle heaven. OMFG.