My best friend “Maria” and her adorable two-year old lived with Maria’s mom. Said Mom has basically made the situation unlivable and they need to get out of there immediately. Now, she’s going to be staying with me for a few days, but we are trying to find a more long-term solution.
Neither of us have done this before, so we have a few questions that we’re hoping the greater online communities we partake in can help with:
- She is unemployed and on foodstamps. Is there a program available to help her pay for living needs?
- We are finding a lot about “Transitional Living” places, but all the sites seem to assume that one is familiar with the system. Where can we learn more?
- Transitional Living programs seem to focus mainly on under 18 yr. olds escaping abusive parents or adults recovering from addiction. Does this situation apply to us at all?
- She very much wants to be employed but can’t locate childcare. Is there a system that will help care for her child while she earns money to secure independence?
- If you live in the Los Angeles Area, is there a particular place you would recommend?
Any information you can spare would be helpful. We are lost even as simply as searching. I am unsure how to google this properly. — T