These are so ridiculously easy to make. They’re great for squishing pills into, which is why I make them (just make sure to shred them really small so you get the right consistency or else the finished treats will fall apart). My dogs love them, and I love knowing exactly what they are eating. Here’s how I make them…
- ½-¾lb shredded carrots
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of guar gum (a gluten free binder to keep from having to use flour)
You can also substitute or add any other dog-friendly vegetables. I’ve used green beans and broccoli before.
- Mix them all up in the blender and put on a cookie sheet.
- I squeezed them out into logs-like shapes with the jerky gun, but you can also just plop them on a cookie sheet with a teaspoon like cookies.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 375 degrees for softer treats, or 1 hour 15 minutes at 300 degrees for slightly dryer more dog cookie-like treats.
- Chop them up into bite-size pieces after cooling and store in the refrigerator.
I’ve kept them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, although they’re usually gone before that.