With a myriad of holidays looming ahead, and cold weather rolling in, what could be better than pie? I’ll tell you: a super easy, “sugar free” chocolate pie. I say “sugar free” because although this pie technically has no added table sugar, it does contain brown rice syrup.
I first learned about brown rice syrup from Sarah Wilson of I Quit Sugar. Put very simply, it is a sweetener made from brown rice that contains no fructose (the “bad” stuff) but does contain maltose and glucose (the okay-in-moderation stuff).
Whether or not you’re into lowering your fructose intake, this pie is GOOD. Both my mother-in-law and husband, (aka our resident picky eaters) loved it and said it was like a pie crust filled with brownie batter. And the best part is that it’s so dang easy.
The hardest part about pie is making the crust — it can be so finicky! So I advocate buying pre-made crust. After that it’s mix, pour, bake, and voilà: pie! And if you’ve got your fancy pants on, you can even make whipped cream to top it.
- premade pie crust
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup (you can use sugar instead, if you’d like)
- 5 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1 5 oz. can of unsweetened evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together the cocoa powder, brown rice syrup, eggs, melted butter, and evaporated milk. Batter will be very thin.
- Put your premade dough in an 8-9 inch pie pan and stab it with a fork several times.
- Pour thin batter into crust and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Optional whipped cream:
- Pour 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream into bowl and add a splash of vanilla extract.
- Use a hand mixer on high (or a very large bicep and whisk) for about 30 seconds — until it has the texture of whipped cream. Do not over-beat!
- This pie is very rich. You can lessen that by using less cocoa powder but I found the whipped cream balanced out the richness quite nicely.
- For those who care, this pie is about 300 calories per slice (1/8 of the pie).
Who else has an easy chocolate pie recipe? Let’s share ’em in the comments!