Remember Heron from her DC rowhouse tour? Well, here’s her DIY solution for keeping jewelry organized.
Here’s how you can do it too!
- 1 foot of large gauge screen, a yard wide – $2 (This means that the width of the screen or mesh was approximately 36″ and I bought 1 foot of it.)
- 4 L brackets or “corner braces” – $5 (Mine were 2 1/2 x 5/8″ and came with screws, which I’ll use with another project.)
- 4 tiny bolts and their corresponding nuts – $.30 (I asked the employees at the hardware store which size bolts to get so fit the brackets.)
- 1 can of Rustoleum spray paint – $2 (You can get any color or finish, just make sure it will work on metal.)
- Matching duct tape, optional.
- Needle-nose pliers
- Regular pliers
- Newspaper or dropcloth to paint on
- Cat, optional.
- Fold the mesh or screen in half once the long way, making a rectangle that’s 18″ tall by 12″ wide.
- Take all the insanely pointy bits on the edges of the screen and bend them with the needle-nose pliers to lie flat. Wear gloves or poke yourself ONE BILLION TIMES.
- Using the BOLTS (not the screws, because bolts have a nut to hold two things together while screws don’t) and the regular pliers, fasten the L brackets to each-other THROUGH the mesh. The screw-holes (or bolt holes) on my brackets were offset, so I could only use one bolt in each bracket, which made it less stable. If you have brackets with holes that are evenly set, they’ll match up when you pair them together on either side of the mesh.
- Tighten the bolts some more.
- Tighten some more.
- Take the whole wobbly affair and wrestle with it a bit to get the mesh to straighten out.
- Bring it outside and put it on some newspaper, a dropcloth, some sand, anything you don’t mind getting super painty. Paint the stand with two or three coats of your fav paint.
- (optional) Once the paint is dry (1 hour) cut an 18″ piece of the duct tape into two piece LONG ways and trim the edges of the stand so that the edges don’t cut ya in the future.
- Wait a day for the paint to TRULY dry.
- PUT IT SOMEWHERE and HANG yo’ shit on it.