Ever since I discovered how easy it is to make browned butter and Mizithra pasta, it has become a monthly staple. I would have it more often, but it isn’t really all that healthy… but it sure is delicious.
However, it is so easy even Megan can do it!
- 16 oz of pasta (whatever kind is your favorite, due to dietary restrictions I use gluten-free pasta)
- a stick of butter
- Mizithra cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the cheese by grating the mizithra and parmesan, and mix the two cheeses together. You will want the mix to be mostly Mizithra, with about 25% of the mixture being parmesan.
- Boil some water to cook the pasta. Once it has started boiling, add the pasta and cook until tender.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and set aside in a bowl.
- Now the hard part — we brown the butter. The first time I did this, I didn’t cook it long enough and the results were not very good. To brown the butter, I cut it into cubes to help with melting. You are going to melt the butter in a saucepan. It will be a creamy yellow, so keep cooking the butter. The next stage will have the butter boiling. It will first turn clear then finally it will start to brown. Once it has browned, take it off the heat — we don’t want it to burn.
- Pour the butter over your pasta, and top with the cheese mixture.
If you can’t find Mizithra, you can probably do a parmesan/asiago blend, but it may be too strong. You can also play with the volumes. I never make the same amount twice. It always depends on how many are going to be eating.