I read Offbeat Home (and the rest of the Empire) everyday.
After that, I want more.
Are there other blogs out there that you can recommend for my daily reading list?
I need MOAR!
Oh goodness, yes. I don’t know if y’all know this about me, but even before I started working on Offbeat Home, I took it upon myself to read as much of the internet as I can, every day. I love the internet. I love blogs, and I love finding and sharing cool sniz online.
First, how many of y’all use RSS — Really Simple Syndication? The simplest explanation of RSS is that it brings the internet to you. Instead of typing in www.offbeathome.com every day, you can just check your RSS feed and new stories from the sites you’ve subscribed to will pop up. It’s kind of like your Facebook news feed, except that you can’t miss a post — you have to manually clear them or read them. Here! Here’s a video!
Anyhow. RSS or no RSS, here are my top ten home-related reads, outside the Empire. I hope you enjoy them!
- Adult Onset Reality — My friend Adrienne’s blog. It doesn’t matter what it’s about; she’s a stellar writer. It’s not super regular because, you know, full time mom, student, teacher — but she’s smart, funny, and writes the only really long blog posts I simply have to read ALL of.
- Boing Boing — A mega-popular nerdy, geeky, science-y Neat Stuff blog, and it often has posts related to the home.
- Cockeyed — I’ve read Cockeyed since high school. I think I found it through The Spark/Sparknotes. Anyone remember that site? Anyway, Rob Cockerham has, for at least 10 years, done all kinds of crazy home experiments and costume builds. He’s got a whole category of How Much is Inside posts — checking out stuff like how many glasses you can get from a bottle of wine.
- Core77 — This is a general design blog, but it’s largely industrial design so there are many hot little pre-production or spec home decor items and tools.
- Craft Leftovers — My friend Kristin’s zine and blog full of urban homesteady crafterella awesomesauce.
- Tea and Cookies — This blog has the best recipes I’ve ever found on the web. Lots of Japanese food. MMM!
- TYWKIWDBI — Things you wouldn’t know if we didn’t blog intermittently actually posts pretty regularly, on all sorts of topics. From home and garden to interesting historical tidbits, it’s here. Even if it’s nowhere else on the net.
- The Walden Effect — If you have any interest at all in urban homesteading, read The Walden Effect and read it often.
- Way of Cats — I LOVE WAY OF CATS. It’s like a cat psychology blog, and it’s fascinating. So much effing better than that poser cat whisperer.
- Hipster Housewife — I am pimping myself. HH is my blog about my home and position as House Captain: DIY and fixit projects, food, and lots of photos of hipsterdom. Until I bought a house, I had no idea how deep my hippie-hipster-geeky-counter-culture tendencies ran.
I would love if you share your home-y blogs in the comments. I’m always on the lookout for new sources!