Now before you all start chanting “You don’t win friends with salad!” at me in a conga line, understand that I too was once perplexed at the idea that salad could be delicious. No longer. I’m going to share my salad recipes with you and hopefully you’ll have the same tasty epiphany that I did.
For me to eat salad, it has to be delicious and easy. These recipes are actually just ingredient lists. Get the ingredients, chop what needs to be chopped into bite-sized pieces, and throw it in a bowl. Nice and easy and also tasty. Please note though, that I still don’t like salad dressing. I know this is blasphemous to many. I’ll link a suggestion I’ve found online with each, and feel free to share your suggestions in the comments. But I’m just saying that it might be worth it to try these babies sans dressing before you make up your mind.
Oh, and I named them all silly things because these are my recipes and I have that kind of power.
- the green: baby spinach
- the cheese: feta, crumbled
- the fruit: raspberries (I added some cucumber too)
- the nut: pine nuts
- the dressing: raspberry balsamic
The Pearly Beloved
- the green: baby Romaine
- the cheese: Stilton, crumbled
- the fruit: pear chunks
- the nut: walnuts
- the dressing: white wine vinaigrette
The Santa Monica, Probably
- the green: kale
- the cheese substitute: avocado chunks
- the fruit: strawberries
- the nut: pecans
- the dressing: lemon poppyseed
The Hip Granny
- the green: Romaine
- the cheese: shredded cheddar
- the fruit: Granny Smith apple chunks, dried cranberries
- the nut: almond slices
- the dressing: balsamic
The Roman Holiday
- the green: basil leaves
- the cheese: bocconcini
- the fruit: Roma tomatoes
- the nut substitute: croutons
- the dressing: olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzles (this is the one I use dressing with)
Salad haters: What are your favorite non-threatening salads?