I don't like Barbies and I pre-apologize to those who do, but I took an inordinate amount of pleasure in hacking up, hot gluing, and morphing Barbies into something that causes horror: the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who!
All told this, project took: six Barbies, two cans of primer, two cans of Stone paint, four bags of feathers, less than half a yard of fabric, miles of hot glue (get the big bag of hot glue sticks), and a shit-ton of patience. However it was so worth it!
Here's how you can hack your Barbies into Weeping Angels…
You will need:
Undress your Barbies.
My Barbie's arms did not bend; this meant I needed a cutting tool…
…and something to hold said barbies.
And a wicked sense of humor!
Then I made doll stands, using these little round plaques and dowels cut to size.
I drilled a hole in each plaque, then filled it with hot glue and stuck a stick in.
Then I used hot glue to mold the hair buns to match the hair of the Weeping Angels on the show. Here they are lined up with their hair buns drying.
Then glue the dolls to stands to make them easier to work with. I found it useful to glue both their bums and their feet to the stand.
Attach arms in a variety of poses: weeping, just opening up, and stretching out for someone…
Then dress them up!
To get that carved and depressed look of the Gothic statues, I used a bottle with 50-50 water and Elmer's glue and sprayed them down. The one on the left is dry and the one on the right is sprayed.
The wings were the single biggest time suck of this project! It took five people hours of work to put them together with feathers and cardboard. Other folks have simply used hot glue on card board cut outs to make the feather look happen. It's up to you. I think mine came out creepier and a little more real looking due to using real feathers.
Then it's time to apply the primer. I highly recommend a spray box to catch the overage!
Eventually I was convinced that enough primer could be applied without making them look like Adipose and I hot glued the wings on.
I finished the priming and started spraying them with this natural stone look paint.
Because their faces kind of faded out, I used an ultra fine tipped Sharpie to bring their mouths and eyes into sharper focus.
There were a boat-load of pics taken with the angels — everyone had fun moving them around.
Our photographer went to use the restroom, and came out saying, "That's not right — you can't watch what you're doing and keep an eye on the weeping angel at the same time!"
And so they began to move…