Kale is so hot right now. In fact, it seems my friends make EVERYTHING with kale — salads, risottos, pastas, and even drinks.
I go to my buddy Jessica’s house once a week (so that she can make sure I’m eating at least one meal that’s not microwavable) and this time I stopped drinking wine long enough to document her incredible kale salad recipe.
Not only that, but we got a little creative and made a cocktail out of the leftover kale stalks. Check it out…
- 2 lemons
- Tablespoon of shallots
- Olive oil
- Tablespoon of sugar
- A bag of kale
- Almond slivers
- Shredded parmesan
- Green cabbage (optional)
- Shaved brussels sprouts (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- Squeeze out the juice of two large lemons.
- Chop and add a tablespoon of shallots.
- Pour in the olive oil.
- Add salt, pepper, and the secret ingredient: a tablespoon of sugar.
- Then shake it up!
- Massage the kale (to reduce the bitter taste) and remove all the stalks.
- Chop the kale into smaller bits.
- Throw the kale into a big bowl.
- Throw in as many plain almond slivers as you want.
- Throw in a quarter cup of parmesan cheese.
- Cut up and throw in one large avocado (optional)
- Add the dressing and toss.
Bonus scavenger cocktail: The MargKALErita
As we (and by “we” I mean Jessica and our friend Kimmy) were cooking, one of the gals thought about using the leftover kale stalks to make a cocktail. So we invented “the margkalerita.” If you have a juicer, try it if you dare: