So I’m all about “Meatless Monday” and saving money, but I have to have protein or I get cranky and tired. It seems the best non-meat protein option is the musical fruit… beans.
After doing some research (read: listening to my hippie aunt) I heard that a natural cure for gas is cumin seeds.
So I got to work on a recipe that incorporated cumin with the beans to come up with a dish that had fewer musical side-effects.
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of white navy beans
- 1 diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 diced avocado
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 1/4 cup of chili-infused olive oil or plain olive oil
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of hot paprika or chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- Start with a can of black beans and a can of white navy beans and wash them really well (this helps with the musical side-effects, too). Add a chopped red onion, a chopped bell pepper, a diced jalapeno pepper, and a diced avocado to a big bowl.
- For the dressing I used 1/4 cup of chili-infused olive oil (but if you don’t have that and still want the heat you can add a second jalapeno to the ingredients list).
- Whisk in red wine vinegar, lime juice and add in the spices.
- Once the dressing is all mixed together toss it with the chopped ingredients and the beans — make sure to mix it well so that cumin gets into every bite.
- If you’d like to cool it down you can replace the jalapeno’s with a sweet pepper and replace the paprika with fresh cilantro.
- Salt to taste.
You can enjoy this right away but if you let it sit overnight its much better because everything melds a little better.