My home consists of my husband, my two youngest daughters, their husband and boyfriend, my eighteen-month-old granddaughter, three cats, two dogs, a 75-gallon fish tank, and a lizard. We have cohabitated for a year to become the “village” for my granddaughter. This past year was an amazing one that brought me much happiness and fulfillment.
However, there is always a funny spin on each of our days together as we all live under the same roof. Here are some thoughts on the pros and cons of our communal living situation…
- Intense interaction with family more than you will ever want or need again.
- If you don’t know each other intimately yet, then you will soon. Needless to say, everyone knows everything.
- Parking issues get real, real fast.
- You will eventually come to impasses, such as: no one is cooking, no one is buying groceries, people are writing their name on their food and putting it in the fridge…
- We have all watched the Baby channel until we have all skits memorized.
- It saves money.
- Wonderful bond with my granddaughter as we were here for all her “firsts.”
- Family meals are wonderful.
- We all know we can never get this time back and have all loved being together.
- We have been here to see our daughter and her husband bond with their baby and have loved watching them be parents.
- We got to know our children as adults living with adults.
We will all take this year with us as an experience like no other. It truly is about the love for each other.
Any other people living the commune lifestyle, either with family or friends? What are YOUR pros and cons of communal living?