I recently ended a relationship that had become toxic to my overall self-esteem and confidence. I have developed a wonderful coping method to help get me through the aftermath, and I wanted to share: I am running while listening to self-affirming music.
I would love if readers could share their favourite empowering running music.
First: I’m so happy to hear that you’re no longer in a toxic relationship. And running to empowering music sounds like a great coping method, indeed! Even if you’re not using it to run, empowering, upbeat music could help get you through something like a breakup (or a job rejection, or almost any disappointment where your self-esteem takes a hit) and remember how awesome you are. This kind of music is more about loving yourself, surviving, independence, or feeling powerful, and less about hating an ex. I’m going to share some up-tempo, self-empowering songs, then I’ll open it up to the Homies and see what they suggest.
I tried to keep these songs upbeat for working out and diverse in genre, and I included some of my “guilty pleasures” for y’all. (I actually don’t believe in being “guilty” about liking any music, so don’t be shy with your suggestions!) It just happened that the list is all women artists, but feel free to throw in whatever pumps you up!
- I Love Myself Today by Bif Naked
- Tango Shoes by Bif Naked
- The Young Crazed Peeling by The Distillers
- Supervixen by Garbage
- Shine by Estelle
- The World Should Revolve Around Me by Little Jackie
- Work It by Missy Elliott.
- Gucci Gucci by Kreayshawn
- Fly by Nicki Minaj ft. Rihanna
- Maneater by Nelly Furtado
- Fergalicious by Fergie
- Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani
- Fighter by Christina Aguilera
- Survivor by Destiny’s Child
- Independent Women by Destiny’s Child
Spice Girls? The Supremes? Share your pump-up, self-affirming tracks!