Inspired by this post on Boing Boing, and recent travel plans, I thought I’d share with you what I take with me in my carry-on bag. Why? Because I consider myself an expert airplane traveler. With how often I go back and forth from LA to Maui, Seattle, and Texas to visit family and do work stuffs, I had to get my travel game strong. And my carry-on is where I draw most of my strength.
First, it’s all about the bag…
I inherited a Lululemon gym bag with LOTS of amazing pockets, but a good carry-on has these three essentials:
- A pocket on the outside for my cell phone, boarding pass, and ID. It’s all about the easy access — no digging around looking for the things you need while going through security.
- A separate laptop section inside the bag to make the whole laptop removal and packing-back-up process easy-peasy.
- A pocket on the outside for a water bottle.
Now let’s look inside:
- iPhone with a wallet case — stored on the outside pocket for easy license access
- Empty reusable water bottle — it gets filled at a soda fountain on the other side of the security line
- Fully-charged laptop — so I can write/work/watch a movie on the plane
- Laptop charger — in case of extended layovers
- Pouch that contains the iPhone and Kindle charger, plus a USB outlet adapter
- Headphones — I always use the split earbud ones in case I want to listen to a movie at the same time with my seat partner.
- Travel size tissues
- Inhaler (or any other necessary meds)
- Lip balm
Now it’s your turn. What items are ALWAYS in your carry-on?