Now that we are all getting outdoors more, most of us are having to deal with pesky mosquitoes that love to try and ruin our outdoor fun.
I don't know about you, but I will avoid spraying on mosquito repellent at all costs! It's so unpleasant! So I finally made up my own version that's MUCH more pleasant and palatable.
What's not to like about cooling witch hazel mixed with fragrant esssential oils!? I didn't have some of the oils I needed so I dropped by the local health food store and they had everything I needed. (If you don't have the lavender and peppermint oil on hand, you can substitute five more drops of citronella and lemongrass, but I love the smell of having all four oils in the mix!)
In a spray bottle, mix and shake well to blend:
- 2 cups witch hazel
- 15 drops citronella essential oil
- 15 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
How to use this spray:
- Do not spray directly on faces. Instead, spray in your hands and then rub onto your face, avoiding your eyes and mouth.
- The best protection against mosquito-borne illness is avoidance. If you can, remain indoors during their peak hours at dawn and dusk.
- This spray is not waterproof/sweat-proof, so you will need to apply again hourly to ensure continued protection.
- It will not protect against ticks! I recommend a store-bought product that contains DEET if tick exposure is likely — or if you'd rather avoid chemicals, long sleeves and pants do the trick, too.
My bottle of homemade bug spray at the ready on the back patio! Take THAT you little bloodsuckers!