Ah, quinoa, everyone’s favorite super grain. Despite all of quinoa’s popularity, it is rarely promoted as a good breakfast food, typically being used in savory salads and casseroles, but not usually sweet!
It is my pleasure to introduce you to your new best morning friend — quinoa breakfast cereal. I began replacing my morning oatmeal with quinoa because I need lots of protein to stay energized and feeling good throughout the workday, but I don’t like eating eggs every single morning. Quinoa has tons of protein, is low in fat, and gluten-free. What’s not to love?
Quinoa tends to absorb whatever flavors are around it, so it pairs nicely with sweet morning ingredients despite its earthy natural flavor. I can also cook a large batch of it once a week, which gives me enough for at least three or four breakfasts. The other great thing about this recipe is that it’s so versatile, people can tweak it to fit their needs, especially if they are vegan or have food sensitivities like me.
The instructions are so simple:
- Cook about a cup of quinoa according to instructions on the bag — don’t forget to rinse it first
- Store cooked quinoa in a Tupperware container.
- Mix in breakfast ingredients of your choice for a delicious, filling, energizing breakfast each morning!
My favorite mix-ins:
- Berries (blueberries and raspberries are my favorites)
- Coconut or almond milk
- Organic maple syrup
- Nuts (shaved almonds or chopped/candied pecans)
- Shredded coconut
- Dried cranberries
- A “dollop” of peanut butter (especially good with bananas)
- Chopped dates
- Flax seeds
As you can see, this is an extremely simple way to get more protein and energy in the mornings without having to eat eggs or fatty nut butters every single day — it’s yummy, versatile, energizing, and can be prepared in bulk.
With all of these wonderful attributes, who wouldn’t want to give morning quinoa a chance? Enjoy!