And it is SUPER easy. Most of the prep can be done the night before so you can get up and dump everything in the crock. Feel free to customize as needed or wanted.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large(ish) carrots, chopped
- 4 large(ish) celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium(ish) green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons(or so) olive oil
- 1 can tomato paste
- 6 ounces(or so) of liquid(your choice, it's for deglazing)
- 3 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- Sauté all the veg in the olive oil until soft.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a little while.
- Deglaze with liquid (I've used wine, beef broth, water, and veggie stock)
- Simmer until thick and bubbly.
- While that simmers, put tomatoes and seasonings in the crock pot.
- Add veg mix and cook on low for six hours.
We take out the bay leaves and puree it before serving. But if you like a chunkier sauce, just leave it. Meat can be cooked separately and added as needed/wanted.
After dinner, let it cool to room temperature and bag it up to freeze. It can be used for pasta, pizza, lasagna, or anything that needs a tomato sauce really.